Thursday, August 23, 2012

One Life to Live


One Life to Live
As we sat around the circle to reflect on the day we all realized it was a tremendous day of interaction with another aspect of God’s family, some of the folks of the Elder Care Ministry of Healing Haiti.
These family members are at this very moment are sitting in the dark in an eight by ten structure that is made of a wood frame surrounded by blue tarp and a metal roof. The floor could be cement but most likely it is dirt. In the next couple of days the structures will face hurricane Isaac with wind and rain yet to be determined. Will the structures hold?  We don’t know for sure. PRAY!
When I think back on the day I feel so blessed that I could help several frail elderly gentlemen take a shower, put on a brand new shirt, and feel refreshed. The last man we helped needed to sit while showering, but even though we struggled to help him he sat in that running shower water and made little groans of happiness. I don’t think he really wanted to come out of that shower. As I washed his back and got down on my knees to wash his legs and feet, I could not help but to remember Jesus instruction to do this very thing. My American culture doesn’t have much occasion to provide such a service. And yet maybe there are ways?!
We fed them, clothed them, prayed with them, worshiped with them, hugged and loved on them. And as I reflect on our time with them I realized I have but one life to live and with that life I only have “One life to Love.”
Bodies that have been twisted by the hardships of life still need a hug and so do I!
After we were done with the “Party” for these wonderful people we made our way back to Port au Prince and the guesthouse. Along the way we stopped at the mass gravesite of those who died in the earthquake and the following cholera epidemic. It was sobering to me because most likely at least two of my friends from previous trips were buried there.  I was sad and yet quite happy because I WILL see them again. I reminded me that there is uncertainty in life and we should live it to the fullest.
Remember the words: “Only one life will soon be past, only what’s done for Christ will last.”

Steve Kersting


No comments:

Post a Comment